Re:RE: Yokohama AVS Intermediate

To: jleclainche@cox.net
Subject: Re:RE: Yokohama AVS Intermediate
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:34:20 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jacques,

I know what you mean about the locked diff.  I've been running Yoko A032R's
with a locked diff and blew out a stock halfshaft with that setup.  I had to go
to the upgraded axles.  I also had to install a panhard rod because of the axle
movement with a stickier tire.

Yeah, I would definitely go with those tires for your requirements.  That price
is fantastic for a high performance tire.  I was paying $45 per tire for the
Spec-Sprite Firestones.  They were pretty crappy as race tires, though, and
would get so greasy after about four laps that you wondered if they weren't
just coated with oil (one of the reasons I upgraded out of Spec-Sprite).  I
could get a whole season out of a set, however, whereas the Yokos are only good
for half to 3/4 a season and cost almost 3 times as much.

Today I'm going to Discount Tires to have a set of Kumho Ecsta V700's put on my
Revolutions.  They are about 25% less than the A032R's and have no grip
disadvantage, judging by other Spridgets running them.  They are actually much
better in the rain than the Yokos, again judging from the fact that the other
Spridgets running them will run circles around me in the wet.  These are still
about twice what those AVS Intermediates are going for on closeout.

David Littlefield

---------- "Jacques Le Clainche" <jleclainche@cox.net> writes:

No, I won't have trouble with rubbing as I am already running 185/60 x 13...
and any DOT legal tire with tread is accepted with VARA... and I don't want
super sticky tires with the locked diff! Plus it's more fun to slide 8-)...
So it seems these tires are just the ticket- especially as I run the Bugeye
strictly for fun, and I have neither the talent nor the will to be a "front
runner"!