Re: RV for towing LBC trailer

To: RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: RV for towing LBC trailer
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:51:01 -0800
Cc: jleclainche@cox.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
>  I would insist on a new chasis and would stay with
> International or Bluebird if I were going class A.

I would like to disagree on this point. Gillig makes a chassis that puts the
others to shame. Many of the major high end motor home manufacturers are now
using Gillig for this reason.

For power, I would stick with the Cummins, for both reliability and service
availability. I would go with Eaton or Voight for the transmission. We had 30
buses with Allisons, and had nothing but trouble until we changed them out. I
could see one or two having problems, but ALL of them??? Our shop evidently felt
the same, because at the end of the warranty period, all 30 buses sported new
Voight transmissions.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy a used bus and attempt to "save money and
make a motor home". Any buses with any service life left in them are given to
other transit districts to finish off. Then they are sold at public auction for
more than the cost of a good, low mileage, used motor home. Most motor homes do
not rack up the miles as would a family car, and highway miles are not nearly as
hard on a vehicle as a trip to the grocery now and then.

Kate