Re: smoothcase idea?

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, <GMGoodman@aol.com>
Subject: Re: smoothcase idea?
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 06:42:45 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
i'd venture a guess that slick 50's lubricant Vs. redline synthetic is not
like comparing similar materials.   the smooth case uses a cone type
synchro.  the wear on the cones over time makes them less and less effective
as they wear and wear .  they tend to get rather sloppy over time and the
friction surface they mate on wears too.   so adding a "super slipery"
lubricant well after the wear has occured is not going to gain much as far
as increased or improved shifting.   now, if you have a NOS gear box(oh yeah
we all have those...right>  :)  ) this type of modern lubricant might be an
improvement and increase the life of the synchros.   but!  the smooth caes
gear box suffers yet another problem of having gears that can not withstand
much more torque than a stock 948.   i have a stack of them here both
complete transmissions and a few handfull of loose assorted gears.    i deem
them nothing but a component for the restoration crowd.  they do have their
place in certain cars!  but in my own personal world the only gear box that
has ever given me any decent service has been a rib case with straight cut
gears in it.  wich is the gear box i have been using for over 20 years now.
i have had to replace first gear a few times though (not because i tore
teeth off of first!  because it had become worn enough to warrant being
replaced!).....autocrossing and down shifting into first gear is rather
tricky on the fly but can be achieved with proper rear brake adjustment.

chuck.
29 years with the same car but not the same "significant other".....  :)
LOL!