Re: smoothcase idea?

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: smoothcase idea?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:00:01 -0700
Cc: GMGoodman@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Jerry and David,

My experience with synthetic in a gearbox is based on my Datsun 5 speed in my
daily driver.  Admittedly, we are not talking about the same viscosity oil as
mine takes gear oil and the smooth case take motor oil.  There is significant
difference here in the lubricants.

I went to synthetics as cold weather made this box really difficult to shift,
synthetics cured that.  However, in hot weather, traveling at highway speeds for
long distances, my synchro action almost disappears when I get off the freeways
and start driving on city streets.  It improves if I run on city streets for 20
minutes or so as the oil temp goes down and the oil starts to get a bit thicker.

So, I'll still stick with the fact that in my case at least, the tendency of
synthetics to reduce the effectiveness of the synchronizer baulk rings in my
type
of situation.  Baulk rings are a better way to synchronize the trans gears than
are the synchronizer cones in a smooth case.  Smooth cases can be improved a bit
by fresh springs under the detent balls, but it can't overcome an ancient
design,
synthetic or mineral oils can't help that!!!

Regards, Paul A