Re: Now Clubs

To: "David Deutsch" <mgman@optonline.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Now Clubs
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:50:40 -0700
Hi, David,
About four years ago, I was on the MG list, and remember you from your
emails there.  I remember how passionate you are about MG's in general, and
your dedication to structured clubs.  My local car club is an affiliate of
the NAMBGR.  I am very passionate about my car, and love MGB's and
Spridgets.
One of the things I learned from the MG list was that I needed to eavesdrop
for a while before I jumped in and began participating in the threads.  Next
step of participation was to ask questions, followed by offering advice only
when no one else did, and then when I finally had a feel for the dominant
personalities on the list, (and them for me) did I offer opinion and
commentary.  I left the MG list because even though I love MG's, there was
so little spridget content.  And while I like to look at and appreciate
other models, I don't have experience with, nor advice, opinions, or
interest in "T" series, or MGA's. It is the same way with established clubs.
I don't go to local club meetings, because they are dominated by
Jaguar/Triumph/Healey/MGT owners, in other words, people who prove how much
money they have by the car they drive.  Trust me, I can tell  from the
emails and uses of the different vehicles here that there are some people on
this list that have plenty of green stuff, what is neat is that nobody
flaunts it.  Porsche owners, race car teams, land speed records, full size
RV's, vintage restorations, new Jaguars, this stuff isn't cheap.  But here
on the list, nobody has ever seemed to turn up their noses at the person who
has just riveted coffee cans to the floors to get another year of enjoyment
out of their little beater.  Amazingly, it is part of the fun. (Actually, we
expect you to use a period correct coffee can, for concourse purposes of
course...  ;)
I'm sure we all want you to stay and be a part of our community, and over
time, many on the list could probably add NAMBGR membership.  What I'm
hearing though, is that it won't happen as long as "B" is in the name.  It
would be like trying to get Fiat owners to join the local British Car club.
Doesn't matter that the goal of every car club is the enjoyment of cars.
You don't feel welcome if the name excludes you.  This thread just
accidentally seemed to start off on the wrong foot and got worse.  I
wouldn't  take it personal, I wouldn't quit the list.  The backlash was just
a result of the passion we have for MG's little stepchildren, our Spridgets.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget