Re: MG Midget Buying Advice

To: Steve Kirks <srk@mac.com>
Subject: Re: MG Midget Buying Advice
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:30:23 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Steve,

Brad might be just a tad bashful, but I'm not. The earlier A Series engine, is
arguably stronger, more reliable, easier to work on, and can be made to go
faster
than the later Triumph based unit. In addition, in 1975, the idiots who we elect
to look after our welfare, decided that the cars sat too low to be safe, so they
were required to be raised several inches. This totally destroyed the handling
characteristics. Several people on this list have later Midgets, and have done
beautiful work restoring them. I just happen to prefer the BMC based engine that
I understand. Whichever model you decide is meant to brighten/curse your life,
try to have it checked out by someone knowledgeable of the idiosyncracies of
these beloved little beasts. Rust is a major concern, and some sellers are quite
clever at hiding it. Take a magnet with you when you go car shopping. Do not buy
anything until you have checked it out from underneath. If you insist on a post
'75, get advice on how to best check for a faulty thrust washer. Now, let's get
on to the important stuff. How many guns & cats do you have, what kind of beer
do
you drink, what kind of music do you prefer?

Kate
'72 MG Midget