2 things

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2 things
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:16:51 -0400
List

I have 2 minor things in need of attention on my new Sprite.

1st. Is there a spacer on the rear axle radius arm where it bolts to the
axle? My radius arms slide sideways. I did not recall any spacers when I
took it apart and installed new bushings. They do not slide on the
yellow car but I didn't dig into it to see if there were spacers. (yet)

2nd.  I have a "moan" at 2500 rpms. On the drive up to Kevin's I thought
it might be a bearing in the diff or rear hub bearing. The diff came
with the car, the hub bearings are new. But the noise goes away on an up
or down shift. So I thought, exhaust vibration. I checked and lowered
the exhaust about 1/2" tonight, made sure it no clamps ot pipe was
touching anything and all is hung from rubber. Went for a drive, I still
have the moan/ratttle type of vibration. So at a stand still in neutral
and 2500 rpms, it does it! I can't find it and it's driving me nuts!
Now for the fun part, Diane was holding the Rs at 2500, bonnet open, me
under the bonnet, no moan. Ok, mabe it is the bonnet buzzing. Close the
bonnet, rev it up, no moan! Bonnet latched, bonnet unlatched, bonnet
bumped up on a block of rubber and go for a drive, something moans at
2500 Rs. It's NOT the bonnet and it ONLY happens when I am in the car!
I tried to get Diane to look for it while I reved it up, no moan!
So the moan is only there when I am alone in the car and nobody else is
near it. Go figure!
Any Ideas?
Everything is either new, refreshed, rebuilt, or NOS except for the
engine and 5 speed and they never moaned in the other Sprite.
Even the exhaust is right off the other Sprite.
The moan sounds like it's coming from center/rear to me when driving but
while just sitting and reving it up, it sounds like it's under the bonnet.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ