Still Steering.

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Still Steering.
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:36:17 EDT
I got a chance to check out my steering problems this morning.  My plan was
to loosen all the mounting bolts and pull the steering column away from the
steering rack and reassemble it by the numbers.  The manual indicated that the
pinch fitting would fit over the steering rack gear easily.  Disassembly
required a crow bar and a large hammer to eventually separate the column and
the
rack.  Once the column was separated from the rack, the rack seemed to move
much
easier.  I am thinking I assembled the rack and column in a bind.
     So trying to reassemble it, the pinch fitting still balks at going onto
the steering rack shaft.  I did install (this morning) the distance piece on
the left (driver's) side of the rack to try to straighten everything up.
Should the steering column be that difficult to slide over the shaft?
     The manual says to install the shaft and THEN tighten the mounting
bolts.   I plan to go that route to see if it loosens up the steering.  But I
don't
really want to hammer the pinch bolt onto the steering rack shaft if it is
supposed to be a slide fit.  Anybody have a comment on this?

--David C.