Re: Still Steering.

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
Subject: Re: Still Steering.
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:30:00 EDT
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/10/03 5:34:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com writes:

Gerard:

> <I'm not clear
> if you pulled this apart or are trying to install it with all the
> other mounting hardware fixed snugly. >

I had removed the original late model rack and installed a beefier early
model rack.  Originally I had tightened the mounting bolts before installing
the
steering column and it took quite a bit of force to install it.  When I drove
the car the steering was too tight--it had to be hand turned back to straight
after turning a corner.  After rechecking the manual and noting that the
mounting bolts should not have been tightened until after the steering column
was
installed, because of alignment, I pulled all the steering column mounting
bolts, the pinch bolt, and loosened the rack mounting bolts.  I installed the
spacer on the left hand side, per the manual.

> you are supposed to replace all the very thick spacing washers at the
> dash location in their original position. Did you do that? Did you
> make sure to use them when reassembling?

 Yes, orignially. Right now there are no bolts at all in the steering column.

David C.