Re: Still Steering.

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Still Steering.
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:28:25 -0700
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

The column fit to the spline on the rack is not a super easy slip fit
(usually), but should not require extreme force either. What you
describe suggests that things are not properly aligned. I'm not clear
if you pulled this apart or are trying to install it with all the
other mounting hardware fixed snugly. If you are, that is surely part
of the problem. I would install the rack with the clamps fit loosely
enough to rotate/position it to align with the column, and the column
with all the bolts out or at worst with only one in place loosely to
support it. Don't snug the 3 at the hole passing the footwell until
you get the spacing correct at the dash. What you pull the column,
you are supposed to replace all the very thick spacing washers at the
dash location in their original position. Did you do that? Did you
make sure to use them when reassembling?

Gerard