Re: Jaguar question

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Jaguar question
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:37:33 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Glen Byrns wrote:
> I know this may be a crime to ask on the spridget list, but here goes:
> Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about an early 60's Jaguar MkII
> sedan?

   Really nice cars. Very popular and with good reason. (I have an E and
a lot of the bits are shared)

   However, be very careful about taking on a Jaguar restoration
project. The parts are expensive. Also, here are almost no junkyard cars
to peel parts off, so pretty much anything you need you must purchased
from a supplier at full price.

   As well, the bodywork is deceptively difficult to work with. Some
parts are frankly very complex, with lots of hidden sections that are
also complex and take major cutting just to even get access to.

   The interior is also made of expensive things, like leather and wood,
so a few dollars can slide in there pretty fast.

   If you want a MkII (highly recommended) have a good long look at just
buying a driveable example versus attempting to restore one with any
sense of financial sanity.

   A MkII stands some chance of being worth it however. Some less
desirable related cars (S-type, 420, etc.) are sadly rarely worth saving
from the dead.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca