Re: How to multi car

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to multi car
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:14:03 -0400
Michel R. Gagne wrote:
> Hi all,
> Through this hail of viruses (virii?) maybe you multi car folks can give me
> some advice on how to squeeze one more little car on my side of the garage.
> I have a 2-car garage, and my wife will NOT give up her side.  I9m thinking
> hard about another car purchase (a 356), but I need to figure out how I can
> get my 74 and the new one into my side of the garage.  I9ve seen pics of
> Gerards hoist system, but are there other possibilities?  The ceiling is
> either a 9 or 10 footer.

   Get a four-post hoist. Worked for me.

   I originally bought it when I had a two car garage that made it into
a three car garage:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/three_cars_in_a_two_car_garage.jpg
http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/pics/midget_overdrive_day_three_3.jpg

   ...but I took it when I moved so it made a four car garage into a
five car garage:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_1.jpg
http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/and_baby_makes_seven.jpg

   You'll notice in the pictures that my wife gets not one but two cars
inside. She certainly can't complain about that!

   If you have 10 feet, you are fine. If you have 9 feet, you'll
probably only be able to stack roadsters. I have about 10 feet in the
new garage, and I cannot stack any car with the magnette, it's too tall.
But any other two cars will work. The old garage had about 10.5ft.

    Some hoist designs "waste" less space in the middle than others,
which is also a factor. Mine wastes about 8 inches between the bottom of
top car and the top of the area for the bottom car, depending on where
the nearest click stop is. If yours had a thinner platform it might
really help.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca