RE: How to multi car

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: How to multi car
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:36:27 -0400
Cc: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Yeah, the 3 have a lot of similarities, although the 356 is the only one of
the 3 that had the power to keep the tail end "squatted" through a
high-speed turn (well, later Corvairs had sufficient power, but by then, the
rear suspension had been redesigned so that it wouldn't go to obscene,
positive camber if the tail end was allowed to come up, in a curve).  The
356's handling is VERY safe, if the driver is sharp and knows exactly what
to do and can react quickly and decisively.  I think that's why I like the
356 so much.  It is intolerant of driver inattentiveness and ineptitude.  It
DEMANDS to be DRIVEN, not "operated".  If the driver isn't up to the task,
it is very obvious to anyone watching.
Re: Speedsters.  I can remember when they were easily obtainable for about
$1800 (mid '60s-early '70s), for a good one!  Then, people caught on.....
Hey, I'm one of the lucky ones who prefers the coupes.  However, I did have
a Super 90 Roadster (356-B) in college.  About 100# lighter than the coupes.
Sold it cheap (I'm embarrassed to admit HOW cheap) and I've regretted it
ever since.  It'd be worth as much as $85K, now!
Bud