Re: Here is July 4th 2001 NOW: How hot is HOT? long, tedious reading i

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>, "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Here is July 4th 2001 NOW: How hot is HOT? long, tedious reading involved
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:52:30 -0700
Hi Brad,

Had a similar experience when I loaned my car to my 2 oldest sons, 17 and 14
then, to drive from San Diego to Portland.  On the way up the Ridge route
between LA and Bakersfield, the heater outlet base broke and he continued to
drive it till the engine froze on an uphill off ramp!!  Called me and I told
him to get something to eat, and in an hour it would be safe to start it and
drive to the service station 1/4 mile away, then let it set for a half hour
and fix the base with part of a soda can and cut up glove, stick a
screwdriver in the hose end, fill up the radiator with water and if the oil
stayed clear, just drive it to Portland.  It remained clear and the funky
fixes worked and they drove it back home that way.  Engine ran until it had
105k miles on it and then some rings broke.  Did a genuine rebuild on it
then and it has since lasted almost 300k miles more.

So, if the head gasket stays put, the radiator is clean, no mayonaise in the
oil, just keep driving it would be my solution.  It might outlast you!!!

Later, Paul A

PS.  This engine is one I got from a junkyard and it had been in a rollover
fire wreck in a 74 Midget.  Got hot enough to melt the cam bearing metal, it
flowed down to the rocker arm assembly, soldered most of them in place and
destroyed all the valve springs temper!  Still got almost 400k out of this
thing!!!  Baptism by fire, it was!

Pa