Mazda Pickup Alternator Conversion

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mazda Pickup Alternator Conversion
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:10:17 -0400
The MG Digest has also had a lot of questions about alternate-source
alternators.  As a result, when I was converting the MGB from generator to
alternator, I visited a few of the local parts stores & looked at quite a
few alternators.

I tried one that measured close.  But, the pulley didn't align with the
water pump & crankshaft pulleys.  Off by 1/3-inch.  Too difficult to modify
the mount to get all to align.  So - my solution was to buy a rebuilt,
original MGB alternator with Bosch guts.  Works like a charm.  Hooks up
using wiring diagram in manual.  Only modification has been to install
larger pulley to keep rpm's a bit lower due to high engine rpm's while
racing.  Even with larger pulley, it still puts out enough to keep battery
well charged in daily street use.

If the day comes when I convert the BMC "A" engine in the Turner from a
generator, I'll likely take the same route.

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner
'66 MGB