smoothcase gearbox rattle ?

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: smoothcase gearbox rattle ?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:38:31 -0500
Hi all,

My midget is once again on the road after a suspension & hydraulic rebuild.
The brakes are working great and the new quarter eliptics are a major
improvement eventhough they didn't solve the left lean problem.  Think I'll
try sandwiching a big fat washer between the spring and the pocket on the
right side.  Anyway, I am looking for your advice on another bug needing
sorted.  The car still has its smoothcase gearbox which shifts fine, but
rattles loudly at about 4200 to 4500 rpm.  At higher revs the noise goes
away and all seems fine.  Any ideas what it might be?  When I changed the
fluid I did find a couple of small bits of metal in the drain plug.

Matt
62 Midget