RE: ignition

To: "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ignition
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:56:40 -0700
I never fitted electronic ignition for better performance or fuel economy if
the distributor/points are working right and properly adjusted... I honestly
don't think the performance gain might be noticeable, especially on the
street (and not racing)... but the electronic ignition will not go out of
adjustment, you do not have to replace the points at regular intervals, and
depending of type, an electronic ignition may compensate for a worn
distributor.

The last electronic ignition I bought was a Pertonix - that was a few months
ago, and it is now in my Lotus Seven Twin Cam. The distributor is nearly
impossible to get at, and that's why I fitted the Pertonix - don't want to
have to take the distributor out every time I have to change the points! I
also have Pertonix (with Aldon "red" competition distributor) in my racing
Bugeye.

I like the Pertonix because there is no "black box" in the engine bay and
the car still looks original, but the Crane/luminetion type of ignition
might work better and help compensate for worn distributors better than
magnetic types such as the Pertronix (see comment in first paragraph).

Jacques Le Clainche in San Diego
http://www.leclainche.com/

A. wrote:

Not specific to Spridgets - but can anyone out there comment on points
vs electronic ignition?  Assuming both types are working properly - are
there very real differences in performance, fuel economy etc?