Re: ignition

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: ignition
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:50:26 -0500
Cc: antony@antgel.co.uk, spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel's right, but I thik I can get the basic idea in fewer than 2000
words:

Electronic ignition - advantages over points
Ignition timing more stable over time (rubbing block and point wear is
elimiated as a factor in timing change)

Ignition performance more consistent through rev range ("point bounce"
is not an issue).

Capable of carrying higher currents than a strict points set-up, making
the use of a higher power coil feasible (though still likely useless on
a street machine).

Electronic ignition - disadvantages
If the electronics ever go "poof" you're pretty much stuck unless you
have a set of points handy and can retrofit.  (Here the Pertronix has an
advantage over the Crane, since it requires less mucking about to swap
back and forth.)

Chris K.