Re: Expansion tank design and entry poin take off

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <soavero@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Expansion tank design and entry poin take off
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:27:03 -0800
I thought that the inlet on the brass tank actuallly continued downward
into the tank, maybe about 1/2 way down or so.

I've seen two types of plastic expansion tank systems. One is
pressurized (like a VW or some earlier BMWs. GM uses this now, I think -
it was on my Chevy Cavalier and my Saturn), and has the return hose on
the bottom of the tank, with the tank sitting up toward the back of the
engine compartment, above the level of the radiator. The other is not
(the radiator has the pressure cap), and the tank has a length of rubber
hose through a snap-on lid that drops down to near the bottom of the
tank, and is connected up to the radiator neck at the pressure cap.

On my 1500, there's an extra "catch tank" that has a hose coming from an
overflow port on the neck of the brass expansion tank. The catch tank
sits in the crook made by the rear of the inner weheel arch and the
footwell on the right side of the car. Seems to me the 1500 has both
systems!

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/