Re: Tool help needed

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool help needed
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 23:35:45 +0000
When it comes to China imports, I think it all depends on what type of tool
your are buying.

I went to Harbor Frieght retail store for the first time last weekend in
Allentown, PA.   (I also hit Cabelas, but that's a whole another story)

I picked up a carbide 80 tooth 10" table saw blade for $12.    I think they
had a 40 tooth for $3.95!   Unbelievable, and this is a decent saw blade.

They had a clone Aloris lathe tool post  that I think I will get next.  Why
would I pay Aloris $300 for for what is really nothing more than a hunk of
steel with dovetails cut into it?

Other electrical items like you mentioned are a hit and miss proposition.

But I'll tell you what.  Chinese tools are improving.  I have gauged this over
the years by examining the quality of simple tools that are often replaced,
like side cutters for example.    I can remeber 10 years ago  when I would'nt
even consider buying a Chinese set of side cutters as the quality was so bad.
Today they are "good enough" & "cheap enough" and they get a little better
every time I check them out.

If China does'nt float it's currency soon American manufacturing will go down
the tubes.  The US furniture industry has suffered dearly already.

As far as your soldering iron,  go to a local hamfest swap meet.  Pick up a
used proffesional grade Weller soldering iron.  It will have the blue
seperate base (usually with a temp control).   The heating element is
replacable on these (as are the tips).  They also have an indestructable
silicone wire that goes from the base to the iron.   I have had one of these
for many years without a failure.