Cooling system - fun starts here

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling system - fun starts here
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:13:37 +0000
Got the car in the garage, finally.  Have drained the coolant and
removed the radiator and heater hoses.  All went pretty smoothly.  The
condition of the inside of the hoses wasn't good.  Ditto where a top
hose meets the thermostat housing - it's covered in scale and gunk.
Worst of all is the fact that some of the connections appear to be
rusting away - e.g. the connection to the manifold from the thermo
housing.  Is there anything I can do about these connections before they
rust away and there's nothing for the hoses to connect to?

I've removed five out of six heater screws - the last one's a bit of a
rust nightmare but I'll get there.  The screws at the back were
much worse - I assume this is to do with the proximity of the battery.

Other than that, I have a bit of a strange question.  I found something
in the system, where the bottom of the radiator meets the thermostat
hose.
I don't know what it is, but I know it shouldn't be there.  I took a
photo, which I've put at http://www.antgel.co.uk/midget/.  If someone
could tell me what it is, I'd be very grateful.

Also, I have ordered a kit from the MGOC which replaces the old (stuck
and leaking) heater tap with a valve from a Mini and a cable.

Antony

--
MG Midget 1500