RE: Cooling system - fun starts here

To: <mgraziano@mindspring.com>, "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling system - fun starts here
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:53:48 -0600
Mike,
         If the question is can you remove the fan clutch from the pump
pulley, the answer is yes. It presses off too easily. Not sure it can be
done on the car, though. But if you don't want to save the clutch, whack it
from behind gently whilst turning it. These things come off too often by
themselves. I can't belive it would be difficult intentionally. The clutch
presses onto a snout on the pump pulley. The pump pulley is pressed onto
the pump bearing shaft. The blades are bolted to the clutch. Remove blades.
Try to pull the clutch off. Best way is using a puller pushing in on the
pump shaft and pulling out on the clutch. I guess I'd go with the puller as
hammering can destroy the bearing and/or seal.
         Sorry for the rambling. Be glad you weren't the guy I was
describing cylinder head removal on a BMW at the same time. Good luck to him.
         Peter C.
====