Re: Bubble balance

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bubble balance
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:03:29 -0600
Dave Carpenter wrote:

> I was helping an old timer and he said the tire shouldn't take a lot of
> weights. Break it back down and slide the tire an 1/8 turn at a time
> around the rim and keep that up until you come to the sweet spot that
> uses the least weight.

With all due respect, that method is hit or miss. The quickest, easiest,
most accurate way to balance a tire with the least amount of weight is
to first balance just the wheel, with valve stem, but no tire. Then
mount the tire, being careful not to move the weights from the first
balance and mark the heavy spot. Next, deflate and move the tire around
so its heavy spot lines up with the wheel weights (which represent the
light side of the wheel). Finally, inflate the tire, remove the wheel
weights, and balance the whole assembly.

I'm new to the list. I joined, hoping to learn where to find some
Spridget parts, such as wire wheels with hubs & uprights, and a live
axle with wires. I'm in the process of collecting parts to build a
replica Lotus 11. If anyone out there has any information that could
help me in my endeavor, please contact me off list.

Best regards,
--
Dave Grandeffo
http://kettlemorainemotorsports.com