Drilling out hubs

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Drilling out hubs
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:07:15 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
David,

Good luck in doing this and getting it done right with a drill press. I just
replaced the front rotors on my Acura TL and of course the screws securing the
rotors to the front hub were non removable. I ended up drilling out and
removing old rotors but new rotors and hub looks like swiss cheese as I tried
redrilling rotors and then could not get hubs straight. Finally resorted to
drilling and tapping both rotor and hub together and then drilling out rotors
to next larger drill size. Of course my POS Drill press didn't help any as
chuck refuses to stay attached to the shaft of the drill press. Strictly a
press fit, no set screw, on the POS. And of course it was probably made in
China, Frank. Too long a drill and things start vibrating loose and go flying
all over the garage. I'd opt out of the wee tight club on this one and get it
done right. Axle shafts and hubs get expensive to replace when misdrilled.

Hey any tips from those more experienced with drill presses than I am. Advice
from mfg. was to clean shaft of drill press with Acetone as well as inside of
chuck where it fits on the shaft. Is it just my POS Drill press or is it normal
on a drill press for the chuck to be simply a press fit without any sort of set
screw to secure.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH