Re: Drilling out hubs

To: "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Drilling out hubs
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:14:19 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I guess I was lucky not to know too much before I started drilling mine.
They came out just fine, but I benefitted from having a good old fashioned
American made drill press that is older than I am.
No, you ---holes, I didn't have to convert it from steam power.
Seriously,  it didn't seem all that difficult.  I held the piece to be
drilled lightly by hand while the drill bit approached the hole.  The shape
of the tip of the bit moves the work to a centered position just as it
begins to bite at the edges of the existing hole.  Once the piece (hub,
drum) had centered itself on the approaching bit, I backed off on the press
and clamped the work down to the press table and drilled away.  I've always
used this method to redrill existing holes and it seems to 'work a treat'.
The drums fit perfectly on the rear hubs, and the lugnuts center up nicely
with the shouldered holes in the wheels.  If the centers were off more than
a tiny bit, the shouldered lugs would be tough or impossible to fit.
Glen

> David,
>
> Good luck in doing this and getting it done right with a drill press. I
just replaced the front rotors on my Acura TL and of course the screws
securing the rotors to the front hub were non removable. I ended up drilling
out and removing old rotors but new rotors and hub looks like swiss cheese
as I tried redrilling rotors and then could not get hubs straight. Finally
resorted to drilling and tapping both rotor and hub together and then
drilling out rotors to next larger drill size. Of course my POS Drill press
didn't help any as chuck refuses to stay attached to the shaft of the drill
press. Strictly a press fit, no set screw, on the POS. And of course it was
probably made in China, Frank. Too long a drill and things start vibrating
loose and go flying all over the garage. I'd opt out of the wee tight club
on this one and get it done right. Axle shafts and hubs get expensive to
replace when misdrilled.

> Hey any tips from those more experienced with drill presses than I am.
Advice from mfg. was to clean shaft of drill press with Acetone as well as
inside of chuck where it fits on the shaft. Is it just my POS Drill press or
is it normal on a drill press for the chuck to be simply a press fit without
any sort of set screw to secure.