LBC (but not spridget) temperature question

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: LBC (but not spridget) temperature question
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:55:13 -0500
I have a question for you guys.  I know some you also own MGB's.  A while
ago, my olds daily driver died and I bought a MGB.  This is the first MGB
that I have ever owned, and I really know absolutely nothing about them.  I
have been primarily a Triumph man, and currently own 3 spitfires and an
Austin Healey Sprite.  I bought this MGB to be a daily driver because it was
in really nice shape and recently had the engine rebuilt at a shop that I
know about.  I drive about 135 miles round trip to and from work every day
and wanted a reliable driver.  I have driven it almost every day to work
this winter, regardless on how cold it is, but cannot figure out for the
life of me why the engine runs so cold.  If the temp is below 40 degrees
outside and I am on the highway (70 mph or so and 3500 rpms or so) I cannot
get the temperature to come off the "C" on the temp gauge. (hence a cold
ride to work.)  Above 43 degrees outside or less than 50mph, and it gets to
near the middle of the range.  Changing the stat didn't seem to help.  Do
these 1800 engines run this cold normally?  Could I have another bad tstat?
Not knowing much about this particular engine, I don't know if it is normal
or where to look.  It's a 1977, desmogged, with less than 2k on the rebuild.

Thanks,
Bill