Re: Speedo Markings-Which one is which? Telling them apart.

To: "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo Markings-Which one is which? Telling them apart.
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:40:40 -0800
Hi James,

Any speedo can be adapted to work with any dif ratio and tire size with a
device that will gear up or down the transmission gear output.  This is done
all the time with 5 speed conversions.  A typical Japanese transmission is
geared to output 1000 revs per mile, so clearly it will have to be sped up
some to match the speedo head requirement of lets say 1410.  Either that or
you'll never get your car up past 55 on your speedo readout!!!

Also, be aware that a 35 year old speedo head may well be on it's way to
needing a rebuild.  Good speedo shops can rebuild and calibrate it properly
to it's requirements and then a speed changing device be custom geared to
make it read proper MPH.

Later, Paul A