Re: Engine/Gearbox Removal

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, doakie@sbcglobal.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine/Gearbox Removal
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 22:28:06 +0100
Guys,
I've just replaced the engine and Gear-box (as one unit) in "Oggibip", my
'59 AN5. (Thanks Paul A. for all the help, and for the excellent kit).

Two things I did to make it simpler as I was working single-handed:-

(1) I welded a FIAT car jack to the top of the screw operated Cherry Picker
I have, and attached a wire line to the jack's lifting arm. Drilled a hole
in the end of the cherry picker, and stuck a Pulley in there. I attached
the front of the engine to the cherry picker and the gear-box to the wire
line. I now could move the gear-box up or down independently of the engine.
With this set up, I was able to replace the unit single-handed in no time
at all.

(2) I took the two bolts that David referred to, (the rear gear-box
mounting, from underneath, ones), and slightly tapered the ends with the
bench grinder, having first run a nut up the thread. Running the nut down
and off the bolts left the threads good. It was then a simple matter to get
the bolts to enter their respective captive nuts.

However, I'll not tell you about all the silly things I did to make the job
<<more>> difficult...

Now just to sort out the carbs and ignition, and then we should have
5-speed take off. Yeeee-hawwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Ron, in Ireland.