Re: Parts Washer

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parts Washer
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:48:01 -0500
> I was using kerosene and SC degreaser which worked ok, but smelled pretty
bad.

Me too. Every time I walk into the garage I am reminded of the book "Three
Men In A Boat (To Say Nothing Of The Dog)" by Jerome K. Jerome (best known
for the book "Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow" and its sequel "Second
Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow" and the quote "I like work, it fascinates me; I
can sit and look at it for hours. I have pieces of work about me that I have
had for years and not a fingerprint on it!") wherein they reminisce about
taking a leaky kerosene stove (not until I started working on Spridgets did
I find out that he really meant kerosene when he said "paraffin") on a trip.
The entire trip smelled of kerosene. Needless to say, they did not pack one
for their trip up the Thames (or was it down the Thames? I don't remember,
must be time to read it again!
I was underwhelmed by the purple stuff from Castrol; I guess you have to
make sure that you put the right dirt on the part so it can clean it.
Ideally, I would be able to afford a heated parts washer with an organic
citrus cleaner in it. Realistically, it would be nice to find a good solvent
for use in the cheap parts washers that is affordable and effective.
Nope, no help here, I just wasted your time again.
David Lieb