Re: valve lash

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve lash
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:10:20 -0500
> If one measures clearance between the valve stem and the rocker pad then
why
> should this clearance measurement be different for a 1.5:1 rocker.
> It does vary with different cam profiles, and I guess if you are using 1.5
> rockers then the likelyhood is that it is a non-standard cam as well.
>
> I did say I was quoting on a normal set up.

Guy,
Is there such a thing as "normal" any more? Sometimes I wonder.
The point is that you ARE measuring clearance between the valve stem and the
rocker pad because that is the only point where you can conveniently measure
a clearance in the valve train. Unfortunately, the critical clearance is not
the space between the valve stem and the rocker pad, but the clearance
between the cam follower and the cam. Vizard covers this in chapter 11 of
the 3rd edition under the heading of "Tappet Clearances" (p.331 in my copy).
David Lieb