Re: Progressing Projects

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Progressing Projects
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:57:55 -0400
Ah, yes. I will tell a related story about Chuckles the Clown.

Back in the swinging '80's, I was still foolish enough to subject myself
to the annual abuses associated with Concours Judging. Among the
entrants in the Sprite class that year was Chuckles, Jr. He was advised
by his dad that despite the fact that his car was incomplete, it would
be helpful to HIM (Jr), if he had his work done thus-far, judged.
(Needless to say, this was in the days before pre-judging.)

For those unfamiliar with Concours Judging, it takes at least 1 - 1 1/2
hours to judge a car, if not longer, and document the judging sheets.

It is unimportant to detail the condition of this car in detail, but to
summarize, it was missing dozens of parts, some of which were brought to
the judging in boxes, the wiring harness was hanging down way below the
dash, and the worst of all was the condition of the front suspension:
Roughly, 3/4" of the threads on one of the lower trunnions was exposed!
One of the other judges asked Chuckles, Jr. if he had driven this car
and was told yes, from home! (+-1,500 miles) The judge then implored him
NOT TO DRIVE THIS CAR ANYWHERE before fixing this problem.

Yes, Chuckles the Clown and I didn't much appreciate each other after
that event. Soon after, I got the privilege to experience the dark side
of the British car hobby up-close and personal. Most don't get to it
underbelly exposed, even though they pay $40-$50 a year to support it.

These internet mailing lists are a breath of fresh air for the hobby. No
big cheeses with personal agendas clouding the atmosphere, no large
annual fee to read about how "delegates" and "officers" are using their
expense accounts.

We're all the same.

--

jay fishbein