Exhaust header question

To: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust header question
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:25:09 -0400 5.0; U)
My most recently acquired Sprite, a 1966 Mk III, has an
exhaust header installed.  The engine needs to come out soon
so that I can tend to transmission repairs.  The PO welded
the header tube to the exhaust system pipe, making it one
solid piece from the engine back to the muffler.  It seems
to me that I have to cut it somewhere to remove the engine,
or at the very least, the header has to come off the engine
in order to take the engine out.  This would mean the intake
manifold and carburetors have to come off as well.  So, my
question, is this the standard engine removal/reinstall
procedure when a header is involved?  Seems like it adds
lots of time to these otherwise quoted rapid removal times
I've been reading about on this list.

If I have to cut the header or the pipe anyway, is there a
location near enough to the front that would allow the
engine to come out without taking the induction side apart?