Re:NO LBC ....US content only ( a little BLIND education) A little long

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:NO LBC ....US content only ( a little BLIND education) A little long but well worth reading
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:32:12 -0500
<<< how does a blind man find his way TO the mens room door
> in the first place? I'm sure he asks and it told or escorted or does
> he really feel his way all over an establishment until he finds the
> bumps on the mens room door>>>>>

LOL..now this statement is FUNNY Mike...Actually, NO, a properly trained
blind person doesnt necessairly need to ask or to be escorted by a sighted
person to find the bathroom in a public place.  He or she might CHOOSE to
ask in what direction the rest room is (depending on the individuals level
of blindness because BLIND doesnt necessairly mean NO vision at all) and
then use his aquired skills to navigate to the mens / womens room.  Braille
thus  provides a means for him to verify that the door is in fact the
correct one, much in the same manner that the PRINT sign alows a sighted
person to identify the door.
    I am currently working with a blind student at the Junior college here
and he asked where the rest room was in one building.  I told him down the
hall and turn right and it was before he reached the stairs.  Out the
classroom door he went and returned after he finished his buissness :)  He
was quite upset that the school didnt have braille on the doors so he didnt
have to try to read the faintly engraved letttering placed on the doors.
You know, the signs that sighted people use to make sure they are going in
the right place...  Ahhhhhh...educating the sighted world is so much
fun..ROFL

Now Braille on a drive up menu, whell thats just another part of lack of
common sense by legislators AND manufactures use of accessibility laws to
profit by pushing good laws to the extreme. After all, if it meets ADA
standards then they can charge 300% more for the menu or whatever it is.

Has anyone been to the UPS shipping counter lately? They have this really
neat way of scaling back there employees amount of work.  You enter all the
information on their terminal and print out a label which they then scan by
barcode. Good corporate strategy... You do the work, they invest minium work
and charge more because rates have been increased.  Bad part is that their
systems have really small print on the screen and is TOTALLY inaccesible for
a low vision or blind person.  Yea, I know...No big deal...

Hmmm..getting older arent we and we dont quite see so well do we???? When
the bifocals slowly stop being able to focus in on the writing and we start
griping about not being able to read the dang small print on the screen then
that might change.. Remember folks, we are approaching a point in time where
the elderly are going to outnumber the you by about 5 to 1...and guess who
makes up a mojority of this and other lists...LOL Yea, the old farts (you
know, the ones who wear bifocals, gripe about pains when they squat down and
get up, sleep for longer periods so they can get their rest) and who can
afford to play with enjoyable boys toys.

Leo