Re: sputterin car

To: William Thompson <Willy@thompsoncarpentry.com>
Subject: Re: sputterin car
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:11:26 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I just went through all of this on my MGB.  In my case, WOT and/or climbing a
hill would render the car gutless, with horrible sputtering.  A rest by the side
of the road would allow it to recover enough to move on, and downhills were
fine.

I checked ignition and timing, valves, and concluded it was fuel delivery.  My
"new" tank was used from a 1966 that I had boiled out.  As it turns out, my
issue seemed to be crud in the fuel lines.  The filter that I have in the engine
compartment just before the carbs was so clogged it was noticeably restricted
(confirmed by blowing on it) and I got some rusty crud out of the line itself.
I took apart the fuel pump and carefully cleaned more crud from there.  Before
deciding to investigate the pump side, I believed the carbs to be the culprits,
so I had already cleaned them out as well and balanced and jet-adjusted them per
the manuals.  So last night, I confirmed that the pump delivers just under 2# at
the pump and also up to the carbs.  New filter so I can watch for more crud.  I
took it out last night and buzzed it up to redline, climbed the steepest hills I
could find, and now believe the problem is solved.  I don't know if the old tank
will generate more crud.

So, I believe that while this car is way different, the principles are still the
same.  Your experience sounds like what I had.  I would guess that solutions
would be similar.

Jim