Re: A-Arm ARRGH

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: A-Arm ARRGH
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:41:05 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> on rain.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D. wrote:

 Well,
>whilst I was getting the car ready for it's annual appointment with the
>State, I found that same exact brand new A-Arm cracked. Last time, oh
>faithful readers, the double threaded pin thingy had broken the
>threaded parts out of the A-Arm, this time, there is a crack the comes
>from the bottom of the welded in part of the A-Arm (front side) to the
>bottom. Looks like an inverted "V"
>
>I am gonna replace the Arm, bushes etc, but before I do, what in the H
>could cause this part to fail not once, but twice?? I need to address
>that before I have to do this over and over every 18 months or so.

I have been recently cleaning up old A-arms in preparation for
rebuilding, and have noticed that they do not all have the same shape
to the area under the threaded bushings. One in particular, that had
less than 3/16" edge distance, cracked while removing the threaded
bushes. It is possible to splice in a piece of steel with a full radius
profile, and then round up the hole before installing new bushings.
I'd like to add my own question here. What is the recommended filler
alloy to use for installing the threaded bushings?  I have my doubts
about silver solder because there isn't much area, and it doesn't form
much of a fillet. The nickel bronze filler (Eutectic 16FC) is plenty
strong enough but has a higher melting point, so I had a problem with
bushing distortion on the fist pair I repaired in the past.
Thanks,
John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: