Re: Spridgets at car shows

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spridgets at car shows
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:59:45 -0400
I've been to many car shows and have seen all kind of classification(s) for
spridgets.  I was at a show yesterday (an MG Club sponsored/run show) and they
put all the spridgets in one class.  Another local MG club puts the midgets in
two classes CB & RB, while the sprites are put into the (one) AH class. I
don't mind competing against other spridgets but do have a problem competing
against/with 100's, 100S's, 3000's.  Other shows split the midgets and sprites
into seperate classes.

However, I'll have to agree that the bugeyes should be in a seperate class
from the spridgets. I further think the RB midgets should have their own class
and the spridgets (CB's) be in a single class.  I was at one show where there
were only four cars in the sprite class, 3 bugeyes and my Mk-II. Bugeyes took
1st, 2nd, and 3rd!  One bugeye was an almost concours restoration, another in
good to average condition, and the third a "work in progress".  This just
shows how the "cute" value of the bugeye as/when compared to the later cars
weighs in on the voting. I don't mind a better car getting the votes but the
"cute" value makes it hard to swallow sometimes.

At another MG club show (different from the two above) the spridgets were all
in one class.  If I remember correctly there were 11 cars, 2 bugeyes, 3
sprites, and 6 midgets.  Midgets took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!  While one of the
midgets did deserved a prize there were better sprites there than the second
and third place midgets.  This was an obviously a "club" vote by the MG crowd.
I have adopted a simple rule, if they (spridgets) aren't all in one class, the
show can do without my presence and money.  I feel this way about two shows
where they put the cars by years rather than marque. A spridget dosen't stand
a snowballs chance in hell to place at this kind of show, so why bother to go.
BTDT but never again. I don't mind competing but perfer a level playing
field.

Biff Jones
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in the "Healey Book"
'71 Midget 'Freebie"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/

Check out the new British Cars Forum: