Re: NLBC..F150 Ford Help

To: RBHouston@aol.com, morris_motors@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: NLBC..F150 Ford Help
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:04:55 -0500
Cc: macsclubhouse@yahoogroups.com
What does the plug look like?  Electric/coil problems in my opinion are more
likely to go the other way, working better after time.  I'd want to see the
plug in fear a valve seal is leaking and it's getting oily?  Is that truck TPI
with individual injectors?  He could try swapping an injector around to see if
the problem moves.  Plus as Fords get older you have to adjust to getting by
with less.  He should maybe remove that plug and wire and drive it as a smooth
5 cyl.  I made my 88 last 16 years with this philosophy, it didn't so much die
as just slowly wind down starting a couple weeks after I got it.  I would
really try switching things around a lot to make the problem move before I
bought more stuff.  How about his cable routing to that cyl?  any chance of
trouble there?  get it to miss at night and look under the hood for arcing?
Good luck

Mark M.

My cousin Donald in Irving is having a problem with his 1997 Ford F150 pick
'em up truck.  It's a V-6 and after driving about 15 minutes, his #3 cylinder
starts to miss.

He's changed plugs, wires, and now was attempting to change the coil.  On
these trucks the coil and dist. cap are made in one unit apparently?  Anyway, he
got a replacement coil and enstalled it and no joy, the truck would not even
start.  Put the old one back on, it runs but misses after 15 minutes.  He went
back to the auto supply and got an OEM style and put it on, same deal.

What is he missing?  His manual doesn't say anyting about setting, turning
on, polarizing, or booting up the coil.  Anyone know whats wrong or have any
suggesions?

Robert B. Houston
Texan in NM
73 Midget and others