Heater Hose, SU question, exhaust, and more

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Hose, SU question, exhaust, and more
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:28:42 -0600
Time to get the car fixed up.  Frank is restoring cars (multiple) in the
time it takes me to think though a problem.

Car:  1978 Midget with a 1500,  Twin HS4s, 9:1 pistons (0.30 over), shaved
ported and polished head, 285 Piper cam, 13 row oil cooler, good compression
wet and dry, Pertronix Ignitor on a 45DE4 dizzy, Vernier adjustable cam
gears (4 degrees advanced or retarded (I forget which)), 4-2-1 headers,
electric fan and mechanical fan and a Lucas sport coil.

Issues:  Overheating at these 5 minute Texas traffic lights,  revs limiting
at 3500 when hot, occasional miss that Frank, Chuck, and Kevin couldn't
figure out with 2 hours of fiddling a few years ago.

1.  Hose/Spring recommendation:  I need a 1/2" ID heater hose that can make
a 90 degree bend to mate the thermostat housing to the duct in the intake
manifold.  The x:y distance is 1" X by 3" Y.  The issue I'm having is that
the current hose is crimping (part of the overheating issue?  Maybe.) due to
the sharp turn and short distance.  Anyone know of a 3/4" spring designed to
keep hoses like this from crimping?

2.  I have twin HS4s with wax stat jets.  When the car gets hot (not
overheating, just hot), I sometimes have trouble reving up above 3,500 RPM.
Maybe electrical, maybe fuel.  The wax-stats adjust fuel delivery based on
heat, so it's possible they are going bad.  I'd like to change the jets to
another.  Any recommendations?

3.  I still have my original exhaust manifold and catalytic converter (in a
box) and 4-2-1 headers on the car.  Will the exhaust manifold bleed less
heat into the engine compartment?  Do you think it's worth switching to the
manifold with a cat bypass pipe?

4.  Anyone have a few asbestos roofing shingles lying around on the floor of
the old garage/shed that they would be willing to mail me?  I want to rivet
them to the SU heat shield for further heat reduction.  I can't seem to
source them locally.

I'm installing a new set of wires, cap, rotor, coil, and plugs (NGK).  I
want to check the cam timing (any thoughts on how to do it with a Vernier
gear set?)

More to come.  I have pics of the dimensions of the heater hose if those
will help.

Thanks,

Mike