Re: 1993 Jag XJ6 opinions

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgraziano@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: 1993 Jag XJ6 opinions
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:10:16 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Mike,
I had a 78 XJ6. They are wonderful driving cars. Nothing like it. BUT
Parts are expensive. Electrical systems are overly complex, Mechanics
are scared of Jags,
fairly thirsty. Expensive to rebuild.
I replaced my interior $2500-$3000
I had a valve seat fall out at starting because it got a little too
warm (not a boil over)
I tried to get the engine apart and tried for months and finally put in
a 305 tuned port
from an IROC Camaro. This engine was the 4.2 liter 6 cyl. the head was
corroded around the studs because
they run through the water jacket. Jags take meticulous maintenance.
You will pay for it if you don't keep up on it.
A chevy or Land Rover will run and go OK if operating at 40% But a Jag
must be at 95% or you got trouble.
They are not the same experience as your spridget.
I sold my Jag to get my 71 Land Rover Series 2A and have not regretted
it, Maybe that's just me.
I had another coworker that had an older Jag and they thought it had
more vertical miles than horizontal miles.

Hope this helps,
Mike Thompson