RE:Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:09:05 -0800
Mike C wrote: [snip]If the inclusion of  dashpot oil is so important why did
so many racers not run any in their race cars? [snip]

Really? Did not know that- my racing Bugeye came with dashpots filled with
light oil, so at least some racers do put oil in the dashpots. I would also
like to hear from those who don't and why. By the way, the SUs work very
well with that race engine.

My Bugeye also came with the straight cut/close ratio gearbox filled with
Redline MTL transmission oil - cannot see how a synthetic would ruin the
gears, but I read on this list it would. Would like to know how and why this
would be so. PO, who put the MTL in, was an engineer and a Bugeye owner
since 1972, so I thought he knew what he was doing? Yes, I do know the
manual for the stock car says engine oil... By the way, the PO used Redline
Shockproof int the axle - this is still what I am using. Is that a mistake
too?

JLC