RE:Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:45:21 -0800 (PST)
--- Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net> wrote:
> My Bugeye also came with the straight cut/close
> ratio gearbox filled with
> Redline MTL transmission oil - cannot see how a
> synthetic would ruin the
> gears, but I read on this list it would.

Jacques,
I believe what was said was that conventional (not
synthetics) have too much sulfur in them, which
attacks the sprayed-on coating that's on the synchro
faces.

As far as damper oil, in race carbs you don't care
about stability, you're pretty much wide-open throttle
all the time, so some eliminate damper oil to give
"right now" full travel on the piston.  The damper oil
is just that - a damper.  The springs have far more
influence in the "controL equation.

=====
Ron Soave

When opportunity knocks, don't bitch about the noise.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250