Re: Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil

To: hobbycars@cox.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil + other question on transmission oil
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:38:35 EST
Just as an FYI.  As a Redline enthusiast and friend of the originator - Peter
Felice, I have used their Shock Heavy in my Harley Tranny for years.  I also
run their 20-50 in the motor.

Synthetic oils are simply regular oil broken down into a specific ten chain
molecular
structure.  If there would be anything negative about running a synthetic it
might be found in the additives of that particular oil, not the oil itself -
as the oil itself is sourced from regular crude just as is non-synthetic.  The
idea is that it is a lot harder to light a phone book than a pile of leaves.
The "phone book" relates to the tighter structure of the ten chain molecular
set up as opposed to regular oil which has varying chains, some 8, some 4 some
12, some 9 - etc.

This does make the oil more effective which for some might cause a bit of
concern when breaking in an engine.  But not so with Porsche or with Harley.
Harley recomends their own synthetic for break in as well as regular use.
Same
as many if not all of the high end car manufacturers.

Fail to run synthetic in your new Porsche or Corvette, you void the warranty.

Kirk