RE: FOT Project Pulley

To: "'triumph_marx@freenet.de'" <triumph_marx@freenet.de>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: FOT Project Pulley
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:57:33 -0800
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
Yeah, Peyote is plumbed that way, and it might help. I run 16 pounds of
system pressure, but I have a non-standard cooling system. As I recall,
someone said they put a pressure gauge on the block and it was as high as 50
pounds. I don't understand exactly how that happens since the radiator and
cap are on the outlet of the pump. Seems like block pressure should be lower
than radiator pressure. The radiator constitutes a big pressure drop. Inlet
pressure can't be more than 16 pounds because that's where the radiator cap
is.

I've never really seen signs of cavitation in water pumps, and I don't know
why--seems like they should cavitate like crazy. But a pump that's
cavitating shows erosion signs in a very short time, and I've never noticed
that. They are extremely inefficient designs--straight blades or even blades
hooked the wrong way. Efficient centrifugal pumps have s-shaped rotors with
the hooked ends of the S pointed away from the direction of
rotation--exactly the opposite of the "scoop" design you might think would
be effective.