Re: racing Austin A35 link

To: "Bob Walker" <spriteracer98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: racing Austin A35 link
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:07:55 -0800 reply-type=original
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Thanks guys,
As at least two listers pointed out the 3.9 will be too low for a racing
application.  It would probably be perfect for the ridiculously low gear
ratios that are in the stock A35 smoothcase.  The original ratios are lower
than the ones they put in the bugeye.  But since I'm changing to a late
model spridget ribcase, I'll probably have to change back to the 4.5.
Like I told Paul A., the A35 ratios were probably intended to get you up a
steep driveway with three huge relatives in the seats and a load of
depleated uranium in the boot.  As is now, with the stock ratios and a 3.9,
I'm often in 3rd. before I'm out of an intersection.

At least I can swap over the front cover on the rib and smoothcase to put
the throwout arm out the left side and keep the stock mechanical clutch
linkage of the A35.  Saves a lot of plumbing and swearing.

Glen