Re: Fix it if it ain't broke...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fix it if it ain't broke...
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:18:16 -0600
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:59:32 -0600, Dan Corning <dcorning@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I did a quick test on my SU throttle shafts and found they move what looks
> like about 1/32" (maybe more) inside their bore.  Now that I know I have a
> problem, what's the likely fix?  I see Moss has an oversize shaft available.
> I also saw one of your comments in the earlier thread that the shaft is the
> more likely to wear than the bore.  (I think I saw that anyway) Should I
> consider just replacing the shaft with the original size and take the chance
> that's what was worn?  Possibly order the oversize shaft and just see if it
> fits in the bore?  If I decide to send out and have the work performed, who
> can I trust to do the job and get it right?  (Did I mention I'm so tight with
> a buck I squeak?)

1/32" of an inch of play in a throttle shaft seems like a lot.  One
check would be to remove everything from the shaft and slide it half
an inch or so one way or another (until you have an unworn section of
the shaft riding in the bore).  If you still have play, then your
bores are likely worn as well.

--
Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas