Re: New Addition

To: PhastPhill@aol.com, billyzoom@billyzoom.com, rbc43@starband.net, ladaniels@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: New Addition
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:50:26 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, the figures I have don't support my statement as much as I would like.
>From memory on standard brakes in good condition on a 69 Sprite they must
have been close to 50/50 because before I fitted the rear bias valve the rears
had a slight tendency to lock before the front on dry tarmac.

At MOT time, UK equivalent to your inspection, there is brake dyno test that
reads out in lbs the braking torque generated at each wheel.

The brake torque figues for a standard brakes and bias valve were 200lbs best
front figure and worst 180lbs.  Rear brakes were 50lbs rear on the bias!! The
parking brake would produce 170 best and 150 worst.

SO, my Sprite produced 200 front and 170 rear which with weight bias UNDER
BRAKING gives the rear too much brake but not by much.  You do the math but
durr
75% looks close...

With bigger disks and calipers (Spitfire/MGB) up front and 8" drums I get
345lbs worst and 395lbs best  which is about double the standard best.  I don't
have as reliable figures for the rear brake and parking rear brake operation
because I think the tester could see the brakes were in super-car league even
without taking into account the weight of the car (approx 1631 lbs) but I have
recording of 230 best and 186 worst.  I have some other rear figures which are
suspect indicating 385lb and 395lb.

However, the car is due an MOT within the month so I'll try and get a note of
the figures.

Regards

Daniel