rear suspension wrap up (Caution: verbose post)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear suspension wrap up (Caution: verbose post)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:02:37 -0500
I've got about everything back in place for my 62 rear suspension (1/4
elliptic). I drained/cleaned/drained/cleaned/refilled the rear shocks, best I
could do was straight 30 oil. "Seeems" better. They were both way low on oil,
even though I detected no leaks on them. I know, I know, it doesn't just
disappear, maybe they were low from the factory or someone else was messing
with them. It seems once in awhile I still get a softness in the action of the
lever, feels to my inexperienced hands that may get an air bubble in the
valving? I'll give them a try anyways. I put in oil and kept the level about
to the top of the pivot for the arm, down maybe 1/2" from the top of the
housing with the lid off (after bleeding out the air).
Main question: I didn't tighten many of the fasteners (just for example the
bracket for the radius arm to the body, and the mounting stuff for the
springs). I believe it makes sense that the "pivoting" hardware is tightened
in somewhat of a normal riding position. So does this make sense: Rest car on
jackstands on the axle, maybe add some weight to the trunk to make up for
things like the missing trunk (boot) lid, fuel tank, and other misc items (I
was thinking a weight such as a water softener salt bag), then go ahead and
tighten everything up? It'd be nice to have it all finished.
Many thanks to the posters here and Peter C for the advice and to Peter for
the small clamp I was missing for the one spring.
Dan G
ps I've added a few pics of the rear to my photos at Spritespot.com