Re: Collecting junk. Yes, LBC content!

To: Dan Gillitzer <dang@ticon.net>
Subject: Re: Collecting junk. Yes, LBC content!
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:16:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Dan Gillitzer wrote:
>  and what about things like seized wheel cylinders? At what point is
> one simply following the Golden Rule or Collecting Junk?

There is not much "junk", most of it can be used somewhere somehow.
Rubber brake hoses should be cut and thrown out if you replaced them
with new ones. And if they are 10 years old, they are junk.

Siezed wheel cylinders *might* be junk if you already are storing a set
or 2. You know, they can soak in PB Blaster for a few months and become
unsiezed. So yes, save one old set just incase.
Brake pipes might be junk if very rusty but never throw out the end
fittings, and you can always make that shorter pipe from the kinked long
pipe.

Then again how many brake drums should you save?
1 or 2 milk crates full?
Thin rotors are junk so are 2 piece crank shafts, pitted lifters, worn
rocker bushings, and used oil pumps.
But I do save semi good engine bearings ;) The main bearings work great
to lock up the engine when installing the front damper bolt. It fits
nice in the flywheel teeth. A spun rod bearing 5 hours from home can be
repaired with that good used bearing you tossed in the tool box.
Same with that slightly used wheel bearing.
If it will get you home, save it.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ