Re: Broken Tranny - kinda long

To: David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Tranny - kinda long
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:00:40 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
David,
I mentioned it in an email to the group about a month ago when it
happened. I was driving it to work, went to downshift into 3rd and it
wouldn't go into gear at all at first. Then, after shoving it through
the other gears, it finally slipped into 3rd. At that point I let the
clutch out, something went bang and I lost all power to the rear
wheels. Furthermore, with the engine still running, the clutch out,
and coasting along downhill, I was able to move the shifter easily
through all four gears. After towing it home, I jacked up the rear end
and turned the wheels to make sure it wasn't a broken half shaft.
While I haven't confirmed yet that the center has not broken out of
the clutch plate, it seems pretty unlikely that that would be the case
given the symptoms. I have taken down the drive shaft and turned the
flange on the diff by hand while both rear wheels are on the ground.
There is a *LOT* of lash and it was making clunking noises before all
this happened leading me to believe that the diff is probably not in
good shape...

Cheers!!
Jim - mechanically challenged in Dodge City...