Re: Head gaskets?

To: dwramsey@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Head gaskets?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 06:29:58 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I've bought three sets of ARP studs and never got any lube with them.
They mention their special moly lube in their instructions, but I've
never seen it.  I have some engine-building moly and I use that.

Yes, one side is a head stud on the rocker arm.  The lower torque rating
is for the side that is not a head stud.  From memory, I think the
setting for stock studs is 25lbs for that side.

I retorque the head by turning the nut backwards about a quarter turn and
then tightening it back up to spec.  Of course, I do this in sequence.

Which material to use is a matter of preference more than science, it
seems.  Whatever has worked for you is fine.  My car is a vintage racer
with relatively mild compression and I've always used the copper gaskets.
 More recently I've been building a race motor with more serious
compression and I'll probably use a spring steel headgasket from Cometic.
 Expensive, but indestructible according to the SCCA types.

David Littlefield